CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 29, 2008

Visiting the Downtown Campus


Today was another packed day for me. I got up this morning and took my computer to get registered so I could get on the wireless network. I spent nearly 2 hours there to get it figured out. Then I took it back to my room and it didn’t work. I had to catch a shuttle to the downtown campus so I couldn’t go and get it figured out today.


This is the main building on the Hawai'i Loa campus.

There was a Resource Fair today at the downtown campus which I got to see for the first time. It’s almost as beautiful as the windward campus. I got all kinds of information about banks, the job fair in a couple weeks, and medical care. Then I went to a session called Getting Oriented: Island and Local Life. It was a great insight into the culture here. I definitely learned a lot about what to do and not to do.

This is another view of the beautiful mountains.

After that session I signed up to go on a walking tour of downtown and Chinatown. Campus is centered in part of historic Honolulu. In fact, on a little side street of Fort Street Mall they shoot scenes from Lost. Fort Street Mall is a walking only street that is where all the buildings for downtown campus are. After that I went to the Transfer Students’ Social at Hukilau Restaurant. We had a really good salad with a spicy dressing, egg rolls, soy beans, and deep-fried octopus. Now for the octopus I didn’t know what it was but it looked good so I wanted to try it. I was eating my last piece when I realized it had little tentacles. They were itty bitty little things but so good. Afterwards I headed back to the Hawai’i Loa campus for the movie, Ironman. It was quite a good movie and I got to meet quite a few people.

Now I’m going to rest my swollen feet and get some sleep. Good Night! I miss you all and love you lots. Sending you warm wishes and aloha kisses. Jessica :)

0 comments: